Monday, February 10, 2014

Grownup Clothes: On The Waist:Ass Problem and Being Poor

I realized recently that I would need to start stocking up on adult clothes so that by the time third year starts, I'll have more than one pair of work pants.

My problem is this: in all of my previous professions, I've never needed to wear "work" attire.  Let's take a look:
1) Medical assistant- scrubs
2) Yoga instructor- yoga pants (which I have worn as dress pants in a pinch)
3) Dancer- booty shorts, sports bra and tank top + sweat pants
4) Contortionist- whatever combination of costume/body paint/elaborate head piece I was supplied with

The first two years of med school, at least at my school, I could get away with wearing pretty much any of the items listed above (except for the contortion outfit… that would get some looks).  Because as a med student, I'm poor, buying work clothes has been a pretty low priority because they are expensive. If one is wearing business clothes, it's generally assumed that the wearer has a job and is not, in fact, making negative money.

My plan for next year is to buy a bunch of black pants, shirts that work with black pants, and a pair of black Dansko clogs.  This will streamline my ability to get dressed in the morning (which is going to be absolutely necessary during rotations where I'm expected to show up at work before the sun does.)

Yesterday I started this wardrobe mission by purchasing my first and only pair of work-appropriate black pants.  This was easier said than done.  I am thin and tall, but my ass is one size larger than my waist.  The ass problem is a direct result of over a decade of dancing/yogaing, and while I generally like my muscular booty, it hampers my ability to find pants.

I went to Express, Gap, and J.Crew with no luck.  Finally, I went to Banana Republic, defeated, almost ready to go up to the food court and eat my feelings (probably further contributing to the waist/ass ratio problem).  I walked in and told the sales associate what I needed: a pair of pants that would fit both my ass and waist, were a little stretchy, machine washable, and would work with a pair of Danskos.  She knew exactly what I needed: The Sloane Black Trousers.  Technically they are dry clean only, but in looking at the fabric content, I don't see why they can't be washed normally.  Great success!!


No comments:

Post a Comment