Thursday, March 6, 2014

Chow


Something I've realized is how important it has been for me to know how to cook well. If all else is gone to hell, and I haven't showered in days, and have been pulling 12 hour study marathons day in and day out, the least I can do for myself is to have some good healthy food on hand. 

I generally prefer to cook in bulk so I can spend 30mins to an hour on food prep one day and then microwave for the rest of the week. 

This week I picked 2 meats and 2 sides all from Trader Joes. 

Monday: 
-I took my whole chicken out to thaw
-thawed my TJs Alaskan coho salmon the baked it: layers both filets out skin side down on tin foil in a 13x9 baking dish and seasoned with salt and TJ's lemon pepper then did a generous coating of creme fraiche. Baked at 450 for 10 minutes
-cooked 2 cups of TJs multicolored quinoa per package instructions
-made 2 bags of TJs Kale: 3 frozen garlic cubes in pan with olive oil, continuously add kale until it all fits in the big skillet or wok. Add a little bit of water. Cover and steam until salmon is done. 

The salmon lasted Monday night and Monday lunch for both my fiancĂ© and me. 

Wednesday I baked my chicken (seasoning it with the remainder of my cocktail mixing ingredients):
-rinse out chicken and set on roasting pan
-in a bowl combine half a stick of butter, 2 table spoons olive oil, zest from 3 lemons, 2 sprigs rosemary chopped, salt, pepper. Rub the mixture all over the chicken (including under skin and in cavity)
-squeeze juice of 2 lemons over chicken
-slice the remaining lemon into quarters and slice a small onion into chunks- stuff the lemon, onion and one more rosemary sprig into cavity
-Bake at 425until temperature reaches 165 when measured at the thigh. 
-check your chicken after about 30minutes. If it looks pretty brown, cover it with some tin foil. 

The chicken took about 20 minutes of prep time (just long enough to watch modern family). Tomorrow is Friday and we will be at the end of the chicken, Kale, and quinoa. Two people fed dinner and lunch for one week (plus salmon skin for the dog), about an hour of prep time, total cost: $40. Great success. 






No comments:

Post a Comment