Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Test Week Truth #4

Sometimes you have to chose not to worry about the small stuff.

Due to the facts that I am getting married in 3 months and my fiancé and I have been in a bit of a back and forth with our landlord (who has decided she wants to sell the apartment we are living in and therefore would like to be showing the apartment in April… 2 months before my boards/ finals/ wedding), there are some issues that come up that need solutions. I tend to ruminate over problems and after I spend half a day ruminating over them, I talk them to death once my fiancé gets home or with whoever will pick up the phone and listen to me.  This is clearly not a good way to handle things so I came up with a little flow chart for problem solving wherein the end task is always to remove the problem from my head, at least for the time being.

1) Does this problem have a solution that is within my control?
     -NO --> let it go, there is nothing that can be done
     -YES --> Question 2

2) Will waiting X days to deal with this problem change the outcome?
     -YES --> Outsource problem to fiancé/parent/friend
     -NO -->  Set a date (usually the day after exams) to handle problem, until then, don't think about it.             Nothing you do now is going to change the outcome.

3) It's impossible to stop thinking about this problem, I'm super pissed/stressed and can't get it out of my mind.
     -Set at timer- 30 minutes to come up with some kind of solution that is satisfactory.  Decide to re-visit this solution after the exam or outsource executing the solution to someone else.


Per our apartment issue, I decided a decent solution that I could control would be for us to give our one month notice and just move over a weekend.  We'd hire movers, I would go stay at my in-laws during the process so study time would be minimally affected.  I found one of those corporate apartment companies, called to see if they had vacancies, and scheduled an appointment for Saturday morning.  Are we actually going to move?  I have no idea, but I do have a plan that is acceptable, and haven't thought about it since (aside from writing about it on this blog post).



No comments:

Post a Comment